Friday, October 26, 2012

The Beginning of the Patriotic Quilt



Wine of the Day: Vendage - Sauvignon Blanc

My quilting essentials: fabric, sewing machine, wine, a cat.
Before I had even finished my first quilt I knew I wanted to create a red, white, and blue one.  When Brian and I were at his church auction I saw one that was really well made and I just loved the patriotic theme.  With Brian being in the Air Force too, I thought it would be nice to have in the house.  I bought a pattern of all stripes at Capital Quilts.


Radio Way by Jaybird Quilts

 I think this was a perfect choice.  This one is going to be a full size quilt.  I figured I didn't need another throw just yet and we have a full size spare room bed so it seemed logical.  The pattern includes the exact number of pieces needed for a few different sizes so it can be reused in the future I hope too.  Twelve different colored fabrics are being used, all of which are either red and white or blue and white. 

Lucy was making sure my piles stayed organized.

 Then I used white fabric to border the smaller squares like shown in the pattern pictures.

Kahlua's turn to supervise.
Cat toys
They got caught sleeping on the job.  Clearly, Bria couldn't care less.

So, this is where I am now.  Lots of squares, ready to be ironed and then sewn together.  


The tricky part will be getting all the corners of the squares to align.  Maybe I should work from the middle out?  I'm sure a few options will be explored and I can't wait to get back to work on it. 

But, it is on hold at the moment so I can make a very exciting baby blanket.  In the mean time, looks like I should do some research for this one...

kara

No comments:

Post a Comment