Thursday, October 25, 2012

First Quilt

My first quilt was designed to be a throw in my living room.  I went to Joann's and got all the necessary supplies for a beginner: rotary cutter, cutting mat, transparent ruler, all of it.  Fabrics were selected, money was spent, I was ready!  I bought this pattern online from FortheLoveDesigns on Etsy.  It looked simple enough; just straight lines right? Wrong!  Turns out there is an art to aligning and pinning the pieces just right.  Now, remember I was a beginner, but I will admit that I sewed quite a few pieces front to back rather than front to front.  Then, finally, there was progress.


It was pieced, it was batted (is that a thing?), it was backed.  Lucy loved it!  NOW comes the hard part; the edging.  I thought all of this was frustrating and time consuming (but still awesome), I was wrong again.  The edge was by far my least favorite part.  Until yesterday I honestly believed it was always that hard and people are just better at it than me.  Yep, still wrong.  I have now learned that I did the edging the hard way and that normal people actually sew on one side at a time rather than pinching and cursing and sticking your fingers with pins while trying to keep everything together and straight inside 2 sides of double fold bais tape.  See, we are learning things!

I finally finished it though. And what do you know... Lucy still loves it.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/413310_10101137578081263_2085234226_o.jpg

I love it too!  It looks great in my living room.  It is the perfect size for a throw.  I made it!  Yes, there are some mistakes but I prefer to think they are just quirks of a handmade quilt.  And, they most certainly provide lessons learned. So here's to the first adventure of many! 

Cheers,
kara

No comments:

Post a Comment