I have finally gotten back to work on the Patriotic Quilt after months of it being on hold. It felt really good to start work on it again this weekend.
Brutus was eager to help again this time. He has gotten so big! His enthusiasm is a little overwhelming though. He is very quick and very persistent, but also gets bored and tired easily as he is still a kitten, which led to this:
And then this:
Definitely not helping!
Somehow through it all though, I managed to get the entire top pieced. I decided to start with strips. I sewed all of my squares into long strips and then went to work sewing the strips together. The most challenging part of doing it this way was getting the corners of the squares to align. I managed to get about 85% of the corners to line up perfectly. Those that weren't perfect were so close though that there were only a few that I redid. Some of the fabric needed to be folded to perfectly align though so I need to go back and make sure it all is laying flat in the back.
This is the largest quilt I've done and I was surprised by the weight of it. So far, I am pleased with my work. Here is a close up of one of the corners where 4 squares come together. If anyone has a suggestion of another way to piece this type of quilt, please let me know for next time!
Now I am scheming on how to piece the back!